FLIR Systems, world leaders in maritime night vision safety, has released a range of full-face bi-ocular night vision cameras now available alongside the monocular HM-Series.
FLIR BHM binocular vision series
BHM-Series are bi-ocular (full coverage eyepiece, inter-ocular adjustment), shock-resistant thermal imaging cameras. They produce a crisp image in the darkest of nights.
Positions Report - Volvo Ocean Race 2014-15
The BHM-Series will dramatically increase visual and situational awareness and can be used successfully on board of all types of vessels including yachts, commercial ships, tug and tow boats, work boats, police and law enforcement boats.
FLIR says the BHM-Series are less tiring for the eyes than a monocular. By using a bi-ocular the ability to detect faint objects is enhanced. This means that you have more chance to detect small objects against the background.
It is also easier to hold bi-oculars steady when looking at an object. An advantage if you are looking at small things, which are far away.
The BHM-X is equipped with an un-cooled vanadium oxide detector. This provides excellent long range viewing with sharp 320 × 240 native resolution in the viewfinder and a 2× digital e-zoom step to 160 × 120 resolution.
The following lenses are available:
BHM-X: 320 x 240 pixels
BHM-XR: 640 x 480 pixels
Lens Options 35 mm 65 mm 100 mm 35 mm 65 mm 100 mm
FOV 13° × 10° 7° × 5° 5° × 3° 18° × 13° 10° × 8° 6° × 4°
Detect man-sized target at: 780 m 1.45 km 2.1 km 960 m 1.9 km 2.45 km
• Choice of lenses: The BHM-Series can be ordered with different lenses. Longer lenses have a narrower field of view and allow you to see ojects farther away. Lenses are interchangeable.
• Digitat Zoom: The BHM-X comes with a 2x digital zoom, and the BHM-XR has both a 2x and a 4x digital zoom.
• Extremely portable and rugged: Weighing under 1000 grams, batteries included, the BHM-Series are extremely compact and extremely light systems. They are ideal for go-anywhere operations, in all circumstances. They are IP66 rated operate between -20°C and +60°C.
• Easy-to-operate: Ergonomic and easy-to-use, the BHM-Series are fully controlled with just 5 buttons on top of the unit. Conveniently placed the backlit buttons are all right underneath your fingertips.
• Hot shoe: The BHM-Series come standard with a 'hot shoe' which can easily be mounted on the cameras. Not only does it allow for tripod mounting, the 'hot shoe' also has a power-in and video-out connection. This means the BHM-Series can be fully operational on a tripod while charging the batteries.
• Long battery life: The BHM-Series have an operating time of over 4 hours on a single charge. They work on 4 rechargeable AA NiMH batteries that come with the camera. The BHM-Series can also run on standard non-rechargeable Alkaline or Lithium Ion AA batteries.
Different versions available
See without being seen Yes Yes
See in total darkness, through smog, smoke and light precipitation Yes Yes
Image and video storage Yes Yes
Image quality 320 x 240 pixels 640 x 480 pixels
Digital zoom 2x 2x, 4x
About thermal imaging
Freestyle finals - 2015 Fuerteventura Kitesurf World Championship
Thermal imaging is the use of cameras constructed with specialty sensors that 'see' thermal energy emitted from an object.
Thermal, or infrared energy, is light that is not visible to the human eye because its wavelength is too long to be detected. It’s the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that we perceive as heat. Infrared allows us to see what our eyes cannot. Thermal imaging cameras produce images of invisible infrared or 'heat' radiation.
Based on temperature differences between objects, thermal imaging produces a clear image. It is an excellent tool for predictive maintenance, building inspections, research and development and automation applications. It can see in total darkness, in the darkest of nights, through fog, in the far distance and through smoke. It is also used for security and surveillance, maritime, automotive, firefighting and many other applications.
About FLIR Systems
Pioneers in all aspects of infrared technology, FLIR designs, manufactures, and supports thermal imaging systems and subsystems for industrial, scientific, government, commercial, and firefighting applications.
With a 40-year history of infrared innovation, 100,000 systems in use worldwide and development centers and sales offices in over 60 countries, FLIR is the world leader in thermal imaging technology.
FLIR SYSTEMS Australia Pty Ltd.
10 Business Park Drive, Notting Hill
Victoria, Australia 3168
Toll Free: 1300 729 987
New Zealand: 0800 785 492
Tel : 03 9550 2800
Fax: 03 9550 9853