Print Page | Close Window

Course notes

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Your ideas for this website
Forum Name: Your thoughts for YachtsandYachting.com
Forum Discription: What do you think we should be featuring on YachtsandYachting.com
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=343
Printed Date: 03 Oct 22 at 12:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Course notes
Posted By: headfry
Subject: Course notes
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 2:41pm

What methods are there for taking down course notes....

I have read... use a china graph pencil and write notes ON your boat?? How do you remove old notes, is there a better way?

Replies:
Posted By: Sarah B
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 3:51pm
I have a laminated piece of paper duck taped to the bulk head on my boat. I then use a permanent marker to write on the piece of paper. Looks a bit messy, but means the mess isn't all over the hull

-------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 4:34pm
Magic Marker along the boom and (now) program into my GPS

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by headfry

I have read... use a china graph pencil and write notes ON your boat?? How do you remove old notes, is there a better way?

A kitchen surface cleaner will remove chinagraphs notes. Personally I prefer to use a hillwalker's sealing map bag and keep a copy of SIs and the course notes in there around the tactician's neck (on a keelboat) or in a sealable food bag with the notes stuffed into a halyard tail bag (on a dinghy).

Posted By: *GM*
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 5:44pm
Most yachts I've sailed on this year stick a strip of masking tape on the edge of the main hatch and write the course on that.  Peel it off and bin it at the end of the race.  On the cat, our courses are simpler - keep a course chart in my buoancy aid pocket so I can check the courses I can't remember and then just remember them. In reality, I can usually follow someone (or several someones....)

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 6:54pm

I'm sailing on the Medway at the moment and they use navigation bouys - so there may be as many as 12 marks to round.  Just about everybody uses masking tape and an indelible pen.  Most stick a copy along the each side of the boom, rip it off after the race and bin it.

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 20 Dec 04 at 9:07pm
I got my sailmaker to make me a mylar film "envelope" A4 sized with velcro on 3 sides. Write course down on bit of paper or whatever, put in bag. Provided I don't use anything too water soluble it will happily survive getting immersed even.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 9:20am

Hi Guys n' gals,

Methods are great, my needs are for dinghy sailing.

Ref -   Magic Marker...is this a general term for a type of pen or is it a trade name? where can I get one and most importantly how do you remove writing from boat?

Thanks and "Merry Christmas to one and all"

Posted By: lozza
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 9:40am

I used to have a piece of laminated paper duck taped to the sidedeck of the boat but it was difficult to write stuff down on the water without capsizing!!!  I've started using marinecard, which is a way of attaching small laminated pieces to your arm or thigh using a velcro strap.  Allows much easier writing whilst sailing and can be printed out at home for club course cards.

MARINECARD

http://www.marinecard.com - http://www.marinecard.com

Headfry - magic markers are just permanent markers which had a cool name and smelt nice!!!

-------------
Life's a reach, then you gybe

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 9:50am

compelled to deviate for a moment....

Yummy, how good do-  DID some markers smell....where are they now? Have the few naughty kids stopped us 'so called' adults having a little sniffter now and then?

Cheers Iozza, thought i was all alone in my strange liking for the sniff of the odd marker pen!! 

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 10:39am
Just to add, that my response i.e. duck taping laminated paper to the bulkhead is on a Europe - keep the pen in my buoyancy aid pocket. Not capsized yet whilst trying to write, or if all else fails - make sure you aren't leading and someone else knows where they are going!!!

-------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posted By: lozza
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 11:08am

Follow the leader used to work but when you are in one of the faster boats it gets a bit harder...

Most common problem was not reading the sailing distractions properly and having to take them on the water to remember starting sequences and courses.  This worked ok in the light stuff but anything above a F3 meant that the instructions tended to disintegrate halfway up the first beat!

On single trap boats, you attach a piece of laminated paper to the helms buoyancy aid so the crew can write and read stuff whilst trapezing!!!

-------------
Life's a reach, then you gybe

Posted By: Lucy Lee
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 11:14am

Here's a vaguely connected question:

I HATE wearing my glasses sailing: 1) I worry that they'll come off & i won't be able to drive home 2) I worry that they will smash & hurt me 3) the slightest bit of water on them makes it completely impossible to see anything.

What do other short-sighted people do? I am only slightly short-sighted, which means I tend to think I can manage without my glasses but I have been known to get the marks in a muddle, especially on long courses!

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 11:25am

Lucy Lee ....contact lenses!

though I guess this is stating the obvious and there are reasons why some people can not get along with, or use them. You can get cheap lenses that you wear just for one day. Ask at a good opticians, see if they can offer any help or ideas! I wear lenses, though I do find they are prone to 'drying' when facing the wind. cheap sunglasses help with this.

A 2nd cheap pair of glasses just for sailing,

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 11:36am

Hmm. I have always been really put off contact lenses because it  took my sisters weeks of agony to get used to them, but that was years ago. Also all those lotions & pots and paraphanalia seem like a huge hassle (knowing me I'd forget the one vital ingredient!). Maybe the one-day ones are the answer

Do you have to sign up for a whole year? I think I'd find that a bit of a waste of money seeing as I'd only wear the things at sailing events.

'spose there is always laser surgery...

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Posted By: Doctor Clifford
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 11:56am
What are you doing with your eyes open on a
Cherub?

-------------
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 12:03pm

Lucy Lee, Hi

Try good old Boots Opticians.

Lenses are something like 60% water these days, they dont' hurt at all.....wait a mo......I have just scrunched my eyes up and, nope I can't even feel mine at all. These days you have only one bottle of lotion to worry about... lenses soak over night.  The 'daily wear' type, even more simple, you bin them at the end of the day no fuss!! not sure about costs though. As for signing for a year, you might find you can buy as req. Hope this helps a little.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 12:26pm

Thanks Headfry, I'll look into that in the New Year.

Dr C: Someone's got to keep the boat flat, all the helm seems to do these days is grumble about rudder loadings!

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 3:05pm

I sail with glasses on, usually sunglasses though, whatever the weather, as it means when I get a facefull of water I don't close my eyes. Better to have your glasses covered in water than close your eyes at that inopportune moment.

Perhaps buy a cheap pair of glasses that if you do scratch/break it doesn't matter.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 7:17pm
Yea I like sunglasses as goggles too.  But I do find they tend to steam up this time of year.

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 9:56pm
I have a spare set of glasses for sailing and a spare set of sunglasses, so loss would not be a total disaster. The're old ones but my prescription hasn't changed much in years. I also use a neoprene glasses strap (although they tend to make them stick into your nose). you can also tie them with curly boot laces or use duck tape (fold the duck tape sticking it to the glasses but not your head, to make a strap).

On the note taking - I laser printed the club marks onto an overhead acetate and this is stuck in the boat. I then use a chinagraph pencil which is held against the bottom of the mast with some elastic. Chinagraph comes off if you rub it hard - kitchen towel is best but you can use your crew's finger if necessary.

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 21 Dec 04 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by headfry

Ref- Magic Marker...is this a general term for a type of pen or is it a trade name? where can I get one and most importantly how do you remove writing from boat?

Permanent markers are hard to remove (can use acetone, but not always succesful and be careful what you use on as they melt some plastic).    Non-permanent (whiteboard) markers just wipe off smooth surfaces. Markers don't work well on wet surfaces - hence the chinagraph pencil.
Both available from WH Smith, Staples etc.

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Posted By: MICS Ltd
Date Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 8:29am

On the course note theme, we had exactly the same problem particularly on the inland lakes as they set complicated courses, often on the water .  This is why we developed MARINECARD.  It helped us so we thought we would share it with the rest of the community.  It is aimed particularly at dinghy sailors as I always found that when your hiking hard in close combat you can't see what you have written on your deck!  It will never compete with big boat nav software, gps's etc but it is a cheap alternative for the more 'casual' racer, regardless of the size of boat.

FYI...........(not an advert bigwavedave!)

As a Christmas offer, MARINECARD is currently 20% less than the normal retail price.  Due to the popularity of this offer we are extending it until 31st Jan 05 .  We did try and get it in Y&Y but missed the Christmas deadline.

Go to our website ( http://www.marinecard.com - www.marinecard.com ) and click on the red banner at the top of the first page.

-------------
MICS Limited
http://www.marinecard.com - http://www.marinecard.com

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 4:21pm
Looks like a good idea.  I might just buy one.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 04 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by bigwavedave

Looks like a good idea.  I might just buy one.

Dave, no point - you've got to learn to stay upright first.

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 26 Dec 04 at 8:40pm

Oooo such a cutting remark at this time of good will to all men.  But Stewart, whilst you have been galavanting down the Medway I have been finishing a few races, AND I have managed to get back in after a capsize or two.

When I get back in a Finn that 4000 of yours will be one place lower down the results.

-------------

Posted By: Bruce Starbuck
Date Posted: 27 Dec 04 at 9:14am

Lucy,  sounds like you need contact lenses.  I wear the one-day type and they're great, you just throw them on the floor after sailing and you're away! see http://www.acuvue.co.uk - www.acuvue.co.uk

The 1-day acuvue are the most common. You can buy as few as 30 pairs, for about 40 quid plus about 20 for a one-off eye test, and if you only wear them for sailing, then that'll last for ages.  Any optitian will do them.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 9:51am

A quick update on the glasses / contacts situation: we were at the Grafham Grand Prix on Sunday and the helm (dr shortsighted) lost HIS glasses, which were strapped on, after an unauthorised trapezing upsidedown experiment. Why is there never a photographer when you need one?

We'll be making a trip to the opticians this week for some his 'n' hers contact lenses, so thanks for the advice!

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Lucy Lee

A quick update on the glasses / contacts situation: we were at the Grafham Grand Prix on Sunday and the helm (dr shortsighted) lost HIS glasses, which were strapped on, after an unauthorised trapezing upsidedown experiment. Why is there never a photographer when you need one?

We'll be making a trip to the opticians this week for some his 'n' hers contact lenses, so thanks for the advice!

Talking of the GGP, was it me or was most of the Mono Asym fleet upside down on the first lap.  I had to avoid a 49er (who I assume went over on the beat) in a large hurry, resultant capsize due to pilot error and the hurry I did it in ended my race -> Big boat and small helm makes righting a large boat a slow process...

Ho hum, always next year..... 

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 12:50pm

Bit more about the GGP.....

Was nice to see the Fireball fleet clean up the Fast Handicap, there have been a few grumblings over the past few years that the GGP was gearing itself more towards the assymetric boats than the symmetric boats. They certainly fly in those conditions.

Shame I was stuck in my Laser over the weekend would have been nice to get out on the wire and relax for a change!

Paul

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com