FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose rivets on eye for kicker take-off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Wobble View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose rivets on eye for kicker take-off
    Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 6:30pm
I put an eye for the kicker take-off on my Flying Fifteen mast using 5ml rivets but with a 6ml* drill, in an emergency repair. Now, inevitably, the rivets are loose and the fitting is wobbling about.

I'd like to drill bigger holes for bigger rivets, this time matching the bit to the rivet size. I suspect I may have to go considerably bigger, as the movement has probably enlarged the existing holes still further. Cry

Can I ask if anyone knows the maximum size rivet normally used for this job. Also would really appreciate it if anyone has general advice for riveting fittings to aluminium masts so that I don't have to drill more holes, as I'm running out of room!

* My best guess from memory on sizes. Maybe they were different -- but I do know the drill bit used was too big. Embarrassed
timeintheboat View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 6:48pm
Any reason why it can't be bolted? I had a similar problem with spreader rivets. A bit of fiddling with some thread and I managed to bolt it and while I was at it the kicker tang
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
Wobble View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 7:03pm
Hmm... I wouldn't try bolting as I don't have access to the far side for a nut! 
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 9:00pm
Err no. Take the mast foot off and pull the bolt up the mast using thin cotton tied in the thread. I dropped a needle through the hole tied to the thread at the end.

Use tweezers or the ilk to pull the bolt through the hole, bolt from the outside and trim the bolt.

For the spreaders I had the mast up against the house and a ladder up next to it.

Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by timeintheboat

Err no. Take the mast foot off and pull the bolt up the mast using thin cotton tied in the thread. I dropped a needle through the hole tied to the thread at the end.

Use tweezers or the ilk to pull the bolt through the hole, bolt from the outside and trim the bolt.

For the spreaders I had the mast up against the house and a ladder up next to it.

Thanks for that explanation, I had heard about using thread before but never knew how, it didnt occur to me to have the bolt on the inside! But how do you hold the back of the bolt that is inside the mast while you tighten the nut?
Wobble View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 12:58pm
Thanks Timeintheboat.

I see what you mean now. I suppose that would be a good method, probably better in the long run,  but I would prefer to stick to rivets, provided I can use the same holes. I think it will work ok if I do a proper job, unlike last time!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 2:44pm
If the number of rivets against the load is marginal then they always will work loose. Poprivets really are a rather crude solution... If you are using a cascade kicker then you can split the load to multiple anchor points whioh will bring the loads under control. Ultimately though bolts, especially with reasonable size washers on, are a far better solution even if they are a pain to fit.
Wobble View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 5:04pm
Kicker is cascaded and does indeed have two anchor points... just the one giving trouble.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 6:09pm
But could you split that down? I've used three points on a boat that had really serious kicker loads...
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 6:10pm
Have a look at rawlnuts here: http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=0

I use them on bits of the main beam of the Hurricane that I can't reach. They expand behind the hole as you tighten - just like a rivet I guess. Also the outer is made of rubber so so electrolytic corrosion. I've been using them for a couple of years now in salt water environment with no problems.

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>