FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 person dinghy that can be single handed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alfachats View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 person dinghy that can be single handed
    Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 4:38am
Hello all,

A few years ago I came on the forum as a returning sailor to ask for advice on a single hander to have some fun it, I ended up with a lovely Lightning 386 which TBH I haven't sailed as much as I had hoped so I'm thinking of going down a different route.

Me and very often my wife enjoy sailing the the Wayfarers at our club but available times are often restricted and I'd like my (our) own boat.

So its a big ask, what I'm after is a 2 person dinghy that I can also sail on my own, its got to be light enough that I can haul it out of the water on my own (something around the same weight as the Lightning) as I will mainly be sailing solo but big enough for 2 adults.

I thinking something like a Mirror but I feel it may be a little snug so my second thought is a Miracle. Has anyone any experience of one, can I sail it solo etc.

Any advice or boat suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Roger.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 6:18am
Mirror will feel underpowered next to a Wayfarer, Miracle not much bigger than a Mirror, faster though. My old club had both a couple used to sail a Mirror together, average size adults, both easily single handed.
Firefly faster than Miracle and Mirror, larger capacity and light.
Robert
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 7:01am
Like the idea of a Firefly Ö it was after all an Olympic singlehander 
Happily living in the past
Alfachats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 8:39am
Thanks for the replies chaps,
I didnít even consider a Firefly, looks ideal but when I checked it out on wiki it appears to be twice as heavy as a Miracle. 
Wiki has a miracle at 59kg and a Firefly at 118kg, surely that canít be right.

Edited by Alfachats - 23 Aug 23 at 8:41am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 12:04pm
The 118kg is all up weight, never felt heavy to me, Enterprise felt heavier and GP14 felt like pulling a car.
Not sure many double handers will be much lower than 100kgs.
Robert
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 12:06pm
Miracle 77kg all up weight.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 1:41pm
Firefly is 74kg hull weight, the Lightning 368 is 54, and the extra sail and associated bits and you're looking at the Firefly being least 30-35kg heavier than the Lightning.

The Heron is another option for a single and double hander but has the same issues as the Mirror for two adults, i.e. limited space I the cockpit. The class rules (like the Mirror) allow them to be raced singlehanded though which may be important. 

If racing is not important but space in the boat is (at the cost of some extra weight) I'd suggest the Enterprise and get either a set of used Firefly sails or have some Ent cruising sails made for sailing it solo. The standard rig is a handful for one in any sort of breeze. Weightwise they're heavier at 95kg hull weight but the all up sailing weight of around 125kg is still manageable off the water unless the slipway/beach is steep. The Ent is somewhat more lively than a Waybarge (as anything so much lighter will be) but is well mannered and refined boat.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 23 Aug 23 at 1:44pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 2:00pm
Wayfarer staggeringly heavier than any of the boats mentioned, how did you launch?
Robert
Alfachats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 2:10pm
We use a club boat, they are kept on moorings for the season.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 23 at 2:58pm
That would help, good practice for mooring to a buoy if you take up yachting.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>