FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easy Righting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy Righting
    Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 7:41am
I have a friend, a lady of a certain age, who sails a small rig laser with more enthusiasm than skill. She is prone to capsizing and is finding it increasingly difficult to right it and get back on board.
So, what suggestions for a singlehander, less likely to capsize than a laser, that's easier to right and reenter. Needs to be in the radial to 4.7 speed range

GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 8:14am
What other classes/fleets do you have at the club?
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 9:00am
Topper, fairly easy to right, certainly easier than a Laser.
Robert
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 9:17am
Estuary sail, must be fast enough to beat the tide. Won't want to sail with the cadets so nothing slower than a 4.7.
I t will be sailed on handicap so as long as in the Radial to 4.7 range being Billy no mates doesn't matter as the alternative is stopping sailing.
I have suggested a double hander but not interested
sarg boland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sarg boland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 11:30am
The 4.7 small rig is on a relatively  heavy hull.  The Streaker is much lighter and has the option of a smaller sail (as has the Solo).  The Streaker also lies relatively low in water but righting lines have been suggested as a possibility for those struggling to get back on board. There are plenty of other boats to also try.  Do not stop sailing -  if really worried sail somewhere safer - Norfolk Broads - you can usually stand up!
Fair winds
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 1:57pm
What about a Europe?
Robert
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 2:01pm
At my club the Comet suits this requirement, the only issue is that it doesnt have centre sheeting.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 4:27pm
Nice boat the Comet Mino, think you can get a conversion kit for centre/aft main.
Robert
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 5:30pm
The Comet is the sort of thing I was thinking of, but not having seen one in the wild I wasn't sure. I have never sailed a Eueope but suspect it is too sporty.
Any other suggestions out there?
Dakota View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 23 at 5:49pm
Having owned one as well as a laser  I can say a Comet has many strengths. But the OP said it was for a person that capsized a lot and was having increasing difficulty righting a boat and getting back in . In which case stay away from a comet .
Itís cockpit is  relatively deep and wide so dry capsizes are difficult. It floats high in the water when on its side and when it has been righted , itís relatively high freeboard combined with the toe straps being along way away at the bottom of the cockpit make this a boat thatís more difficult to recover from a capsize than a Laser/ILCA. 
I think  the lady would be better looking at Europes or streakers or maybe even a Aero 5 if she doesnít mind kneeling. 

Edited by Dakota - 24 Apr 23 at 6:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>