FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can this be fair race management?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 11:26am
In this instance, I like uniformity. I'd hate to go to an open one week and lose on a tie break, then go somewhere else and lose on a tie break under a different system, where I'd have won if the system from the week before was being used. And if I won both, I'd not feel right about it, though I'd laugh, of course...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Rupert

I'd hate to go to an open one week and lose on a tie break, then go somewhere else and lose on a tie break under a different system

Not a problem that concerns me these days...
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 11:43am
Sorry, by the time I posted about the 13/14 I thought it was last race score, not lowest race score which I can see now (someone explained it).

It's still f**ked up though.

If a guy beats someone two races to one in a three race event he should win - end of.

That result is bollox.

Which means this scoring system is also bollox, sorry, once more y'all have got it wrong.

Edited by iGRF - 06 Jan 15 at 11:44am
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 11:44am
When I say win/lose, I'm referring to the tie break, not the open - could be between 10th and 11th one week and 9th and 10th the next...

Mind, I did lose a tie break in 2013 that would have won me an open.
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 10:08pm
Just to muddy the water further when Graeme's favourite class (Solos!) work out prizes for Masters, Grand Masters etc. within a major championship, they count the placings of individual age groups as though no other boats were racing. It is thus mathematically possible for a Master, say, who finishes ahead of another Master in the overall classification to finish behind the other guy when the Masters only classification is calculated, which might seem peverse - but it can cut both ways if it is the system always used.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 15 at 10:34pm
So what was so wrong with the old RYA short series results we used to know and love?

I dunno, change, it's never for the better is it?
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 15 at 6:19am
Originally posted by NickM

Just to muddy the water further when Graeme's favourite class (Solos!) work out prizes for Masters, Grand Masters etc. within a major championship, they count the placings of individual age groups as though no other boats were racing. It is thus mathematically possible for a Master, say, who finishes ahead of another Master in the overall classification to finish behind the other guy when the Masters only classification is calculated, which might seem peverse - but it can cut both ways if it is the system always used.

For the GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series we also extract results to form specific class rankings

The logic is this gives a far more balanced view of the boats competing against others in their class.  Dan Holman was third overall at the Oxford Blue,  the next boat Russ Hopkins was 47 places behind.  If these actual scores rather than relatives ones were used in the class rankings this would have a massive effect.  There will be a discard after this weekend's Bloody Mary and with four D-Zeros currently entered expect some shake up in the overall class standings.

Talking discards,  I do think three races is too low a number and we will re-visit for next year.

www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 15 at 8:43am
GRF, if a boat with 2 wins always beats a boat with 1, then a score of 16,16,16 will beat 1,17,17 - does that seem right? If it is closer, and comes out as a draw, having the high score winning keeps the above logic.

And of course the seperate class results should be scored as a fleet - if the order changes, so be it.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 15 at 10:01am
2 Wins out of three no matter what the score, is the only fair solution if you want to reward consistency and not lucky flier flukes.

That was the whole purpose of the old short series system. (I should qualify that, by saying that three race events all should count and discards should not be entertained until race four)

Another reason for me to stick to one race events, those results would have me spitting nails.

Edited by iGRF - 07 Jan 15 at 10:48am
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 15 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Simon Lovesey

Talking discards,  I do think three races is too low a number and we will re-visit for next year.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>