FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On-line Entry Forms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mike10626 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mike10626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On-line Entry Forms
    Posted: 09 Dec 14 at 10:46pm
Does anyone else get concerned about what we are being asked for on on-line entry forms? The one for the latest Sailjuice series seems to take things to extremes!

I understand clubs would like us to enter early to help organise safety cover, etc. but if the form is this complex it is probably worth the extra costs of a late entry on the day!

Surely all you need for a pre-entry is the data that will appear on the results sheet and enough contact information to tell me if the event is cancelled and to relate my payment to the entry.

With the current concerns about data security and identity theft I am not sure I want Sailjuice to have most of the rest of the information they are asking for. If it is required for youth safeguarding surely it should be part of the signed parental consent form that has to be handed in on the day.

Can anyone explain why we suddenly need all this information?

Hope to see some of you at the Datchet event if I can get around that entry form.

Mike
Brass View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 14 at 8:33am
Rule J1.2(6) requires an entry form to be included with a Notice of Race and to contain words such as 'I agree to be bound by The Racing Rules of Sailing adn by all other rules that govern the event.'.

Race Managers very legitimately want to be able to contact you, and that usually requires multiple means to be effective.
mike10626 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike10626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 14 at 9:48am
But this one requires 3 ways to contact both me and my crew!

And then on it goes on to ask for all kinds of medical details including requiring me to go and find my doctor's telephone number!

As for asking for dates of birth then mother's name and then asking for payment details on the next page - isn't this just asking for a hacker to take it over?

On top of this the website does not state who is going to have access to any of this data or provide any kind of privacy statement.

As for the declaration - you still need to sign that and hand a paper copy in on the day!

I could forgive an amateur club for doing this but as far as I understand it this site is run by SailRacer.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 14 at 10:58am
Does the form get rejected if you don't fill it all in? If it does, lie. After all, what does it matter whether your mother's maiden name was Smith, and you have written Jones, or that you weren't born in 1972, but in 1974? Just keep the age within any age related prize boundaries - or keep the year and change the day.

Edited by Rupert - 10 Dec 14 at 11:01am
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 14 at 5:50pm
I've encountered such forms on Sailracer, and been as outraged as the OP. I was certainly not going to enter my crew's date of birth (over 18!), even if there was a chance she wouldn't have minded!

More seriously, there are real data-protection issues. Months later, I grabbed some scrap paper in the race box and what was on the reverse? All the personal details people had put on their entry forms, that's what! I resisted the temptation to begin a new and lucrative career in crime, however.

After much discussion, we decided that blatant lying was the way forward (entering nothing didn't work as the form wouldn't 'send' without the fields completed iirc). One friend entered the day of signing the form as his DOB!

Given that we were asked to sign the printed forms when we signed on for the race, there was the possibility of correcting the 'errors' made on-line, by deleting the relevant data. Any jobsworth trying to insist that all fields be completed correctly would have suffered severe verbal abuse, I think.
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 5:19am
The entry system is based on standard RYA paper forms,  I do agree there is scope to simplify and something we are exploring,  but as mentioned by others there is some information that does need to be collected.

For the GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series one of the key features is the facility to enter multiple events at same time.

I will be at Datchet and happy to chat over any suggestions of improvements.
www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 7:32am
Sounds like some serious data protection issues and I would not be happy filling that form in. I've not entered any of the SJ events yet this year, but no way am I putting mothers name and bank details on same form! Why do you even need mothers name?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Peaky

Sounds like some serious data protection issues and I would not be happy filling that form in. I've not entered any of the SJ events yet this year, but no way am I putting mothers name and bank details on same form! Why do you even need mothers name?

We do NOT ask for Mother's name or bank details

www.sailracer.org
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 9:30am
Why would you need date of birth for adults? I'd suggest "Over 18" should be an acceptable input.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 14 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Why would you need date of birth for adults? I'd suggest "Over 18" should be an acceptable input.

Many events have various age groups and prizes,  and not just for < 18

Agree may be better to ask year of birth rather than DOB

www.sailracer.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>