FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Choosing a new dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stu B View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stu B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing a new dinghy
    Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 4:05pm
I'd go along with most of the suggestions above, but just to throw another option in, how about a Tasar? I don't know the river you sail on, but you mentioned that you would like to be at the front of the fleet, a Tasar is quite quick without the hassle of a spinnaker. I think they also cope with tides ok, the only problem i can think of is that they have a daggerboard, a centreboard may be better on the river.

Edited by Stu B - 24 Mar 14 at 5:14pm
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 10:53pm
You will be absolutely fine with a miracle on a river. I used to sail on the norfolk broads, which has many treelined sections, mirrors and Gulls went well enough, I dont recall any miracles sailing there at the time, but if mirrors and gulls went ok, then I cant see a problem with a miracle. Not only that the miracle is a nice little boat, and should provide a good grounding in dinghy sailing skills. I bought one accidentally a few years ago (it was cheap and local on ebay) to teach my kids to sail, and have just upgraded it to a brand new one.

Edited by sawman - 24 Mar 14 at 10:57pm
O_Long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote O_Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 12:16am
Okay, seems the situation has changed.. My crew is only going to be there half the time, so it might be an idea to look at single handers instead. I think I may still go for the Grad and sail it without a jib when the crew's not there.
Time Lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 8:35am
Generally two sailed boats sailed without the jib are dogs unless you can move the made forward (as on the Mirror). Suggest that you learn to sail the boat singlehanded but with both sails.

Remember that the Firefly was designed as the Olympic singlehander and is easily sailed by just one.
Merlin Rocket 3609
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 10:23am
The firefly was USED as the Olympic singlehander, not designed for it.

But it is pretty easy to sail singlehanded. I prefer aft main to do so (easier to hold main and tiller in one hand) and jib cleats are important, but once you learn the tacking technique, it is a doddle, especially on a river.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 6:12pm
Sailing the Grad singlehanded with both sails is a doddle, bear in mind that a fair few of us sail them with 6yr old crews!
O_Long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote O_Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 8:47pm
Hm, okay. I might keep an eye out for Grads, but are there any decent river racing single handers out there? Bear in mind I'm pretty small, and I'm looking for something that will keep me pretty dry (that means no Toppers or Lasers! Wink) What do you think? A Solo? Perhaps a Finn (little bit wet)? Even a Europe?

Apologies if it sounds like I keep changing my mind.  Confused 
Blue One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 11:12pm
British Moth, lightning or comet.

O_Long View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote O_Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Blue One

British Moth, lightning or comet.

Hm, maybe a little bit too wet for me I'm afraid - I'm much more a fan of sitting in a boat, rather than on it! Thanks for the response in any case.
Blue One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 14 at 11:46pm
Wet? All of these boats are sit in boats. Are you sure your not thinking of an international moth?

Edited by Blue One - 30 Mar 14 at 9:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>