An alert has been issued by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) following a Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) warning about dangerous surf conditions for the whole NSW coast on Friday and Saturday, and from Sydney to the Queensland border on Sunday.
RMS A/General Manager Maritime Operations Trevor Williams said skippers and owners of small craft should be on high alert and to check the conditions before considering crossing a coastal bar or heading offshore.
'Dangerous surf conditions can easily translate into dangerous conditions for rock fishing and for vessels crossing coastal bars,' Mr Williams said.
'Strong winds can also mean dangerous conditions for vessels on moorings which have been poorly maintained.
'This week we have seen the sort of damage that can be caused by wild weather. Several boats were damaged throughout the state but especially in and around Manly and Jervis Bay.
'It is a timely reminder all moorings need to be maintained regularly. It is a condition of all mooring licences that moorings and mooring tackle are serviced professionally at least annually,' he said.
Mr Williams said many navigation markers on waterways throughout the state had also been washed out of place.
'RMS Boating Safety Officers are working to locate and replace any markers that are out of position. However, anyone boating should do so with extra caution as not all navigation hazards will be marked,' he said.
To report a missing navigation marker, phone 13 12 56 during office hours.
Every skipper is responsible for the safety of their vessel and all on board. RMS advises skippers to:
• Check the official weather forecast before and during boating
• Ensure the boat and its equipment is suitable for the conditions
• Log on/off with a Marine Rescue NSW marine radio base for every trip offshore
• Wear a lifejacket.
For more information:
• Offshore boating safety: click here
• Lifejacket information: click here
• Live webcam of bar crossings: click here
• Official forecast: click here
• BoM maritime-specific advice: click here Roads and Maritime Services NSW website