Sail-World.com : Class 1 Powerboat Norwegian Grand Prix 2011 – Victory to lead race one
Class 1 Powerboat Norwegian Grand Prix 2011 – Victory to lead race one
BMW Norwegian Grand Prix 2011 is round two of the UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship and is being held in Arendal, Norway from 15th to 17th July.
Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir Bin Hendi will start race one of the BMW Norwegian Grand Prix in pole position, after setting the fastest time in today’s official qualifying session.
For the second time in two Grand Prix, Class 1 rookie Ali Al Neama and Matteo Nicolini claimed the in-house bragging rights outpacing their Spirit of Qatar teammates Sheikh Hassan and Steve Curtis, albeit by less than a tenth of a second.
The all important front row of five boats was completed by Team Abu Dhabi newcomer Majed Al Mansoori and Rashed Al Tayer, with Norway’s Kolbjorn Selmer and Jorn Tandberg elevated to fifth after kim.com was disqualified for exceeding the maximum power output.
Relekta was a second boat to fall foul of the power limit and will start on the outside of line two alongside Parsonage Racing who failed to get out on the water.
The Victory pairing were clearly fired up by the activities of the last 24 hours, going four seconds quicker than their rivals in practice, and then producing two stunning laps in qualifying, their first good enough to take the pole, which they eclipsed on the second and the final lap of the session, posting a time of 3.51,95s around the 6.46Nm lap.
BMW Norwegian Grand Prix, Edox Pole Position – Results:
1. 3 Victory - A Al Zafeen (UAE) / N Bin Hendi (UAE) - 03.51,95
2. 95 Spirit of Qatar - A Al Neama (QAT) / M Nicolini (ITA) - 03.54,85
3. 96 Spirit of Qatar - H Al Thani (QAT) / S Curtis (ENG) - 03.54,92
4. 5 Team Abu Dhabi - R Al Tayer (UAE) / M Al Mansoori (UAE) - 04.03,32
5. 90 Welmax - K Selmer (NOR) / J Tandberg (NOR) - 04.10,54
6. 10 Fendi Racing - L Formilli Fendi (ITA) / G Carpitella (ITA) - 04.10,64
7. 69 ferskfisken.no - F Sundsdal (NOR) / B Jacobsen (NOR) - 04.45,14
8. 74 kim.com - G Cappellini (ITA) / G Montavoci (ITA) - 03.55,51*
9. 91 Relekta - U Isik (TUR) / C Zaborowski (NOR) - 04.13,12*
10. 50 Parsonage Racing - G Manuzzi (SMR) / P Virik Nilsen - dns
* 74 and 91 disqualified for exceeding maximum power output
Edox Pole Position Championship: (after round 2)
1. 3 Victory Team - 35pts
2. 5 Team Abu Dhabi - 29pts
3. 95 Spirit of Qatar - 27pts
4. 96 Spirit of Qatar - 16pts
5. 10 Fendi Racing 14pts
6. 90 Welmax - 10pts
7. 91 Relekta - 7pts
8. 18 MITI - 5pts
9. 69 firskfisken.no - 4pts
10. 74 kim.com - 2pts
11. 50 Parsonage Racing - 1pt
UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship website
by Nigel Quilter
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
2:15 PM Sat 16 Jul 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
Our Advertisers are committed to our sport, please support them!
This site and its contents are © Copyright TetraMedia Pty. Ltd and/or the original author, photographer etc. All Rights Reserved.
Photographs are copyright by law. If you wish to use or buy a photograph you must contact the photographer directly (there is a hyperlink in most cases to their website, or do a Google search.) with your request.
Please do not contact
as we cannot give permission for use of other photographer’s images.
Only if the photographer named on the image is Sail-world.com, Powerboat-world.com, Marinebusiness-world.com or NZBoating-World.com.
Ph: +61 2 8006 1873 fax: +61 2 8076 0459
or complete our
[ Banner Advertising Specification
[Bot Archive ]
Customised news feeds -Marine Industry companies, Clubs and Associations have their own customised version of our news feed on their website.