by Class 1
Class 1 World Powerboat Championship race one sees Team Abu Dhabi on pole after going quickest in this morning’s Edox Pole Position qualifying sessionr
UIM Class 1 World Powerboat Championship
Victory Team’s Arif Al Zafeen and Nadir bin Hendi were first out onto the course and set the early pace. The Emirati pair looked to have done enough, setting their best time, 3mins 00.56secs on their second flying lap, when the session was red-flagged, with officials closing the course to replace two turn buoys that had drifted.
In a frantic last seven minutes after the course reopened, Team Abu Dhabi’s Rashed Al Tayer and John Tomlinson went again for one final run and produced a stunning lap to snatch the pole position from the defending World Champions, posting 3mins 00.04secs.
The re-started session also played into the hands of Spirit of Qatar’s Ali Al Neama and Matteo Nicolini who bettered their previous time by almost three seconds to go third fastest with 3mins 01.65secs and finish ahead of their teammates, down in seventh place.
Luca F Fendi Racing’s decision not to go out again proved costly, with Luca Fendi and Giovanni Carpitella losing out on what looked to be a top three slot for the start.
Ugur Isik and Christian Zaborowski produced another solid performance putting Relekta into fifth place, with Nicola Giorgi and Tomaso Polli improving considerably on yesterday’s times and will start in sixth place in MITI.
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Edox Pole Position – Results
1. 5 Team Abu Dhabi - R Al Tayer (UAE) / J Tomlinson (USA) - 03.00,04
2. 3 Victory - A Al Zafeen (UAE) / N Bin Hendi (UAE) - 03.00,56
3. 95 Spirit of Qatar - A Al Neama (QAT) / M Nicolini (ITA) - 03.01,65
4. 10 Luca F Fendi Racing - L Formilli Fendi (ITA) / G Carpitella (ITA) - 03.02,32
5. 91 Relekta - U Isik (TUR) / C Zaborowski (NOR) - 03.03,26
6. 18 MITI - N Giorgi (ITA) / T Polli (ITA) - 03.03,59
7. 96 Spirit of Qatar - H Al Thani (QAT) / S Curtis (ENG) - 03.04,48
8. 90 Welmax - K Selmer (NOR) / J Tandberg (NOR) - 03.04,62
9. 74 Poliform - G Cappellini (MON) / G Montavoci (ITA) - 03.05,87
10. 50 Parsonage Racing - G Manuzzi (SMR) / P Virik Nilsen (NOR) - 04.22,06
Edox Pole Position Championship - after round 1
1. 5 Team Abu Dhabi - 20pts
2. 3 Victory Team - 15pts
3. 95 Spirit of Qatar - 12pts
4. 10 Luca F Fendi Racing 9pts
5. 91 Relekta - 7pts
6. 18 MITI - 5pts
7. 96 Spirit of Qatar - 4pts
8. 90 Welmax - 3pts
9. 74 Poliform - 2pts
10. 50 Parsonage Racing - 1pt